Sharing Help and Hope - a place to encourage and share.

A problem shared is a problem halved....

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

We all need them. Lazy Sunday afternoons. In order to enjoy mine I would like someone to come and sort my washing. Seeing as that probably isn't going to happen (or very fair, for that matter), I plan to paint and eat.

The house smells delicious, and now I won't be nagged all afternoon, 'Mummy, I'm hungry,', 'Mummy, what is there to eat?' etc.... Kids are hollow, no? I just whipped up the three easiest items on my baking list. Well, they are at the top of the pile- am I the only one that goes through baking 'stages', where you seem to use the same recipe for quite a while, get sick of it then resurrect it months later? I just reshuffled mine, and these are often the emergency recipes perfect for those  'I need to bring something for a shared morning tea tomorrow, Mum,' occasions that happen late on school nights. I am sure your kids would never do that to YOU. But seriously, I just made all three, and it took me under an hour. What's not to like? Full tins, yummy smelling house, minimal dishes. O for Awesome.

Corn Bread


1 Cup (130g) cornmeal
1 Cup (140g) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 Cup (250ml) milk
1 Cup (140g) corn kernels
chopped green chilli - optional

Preheat oven to 200C and grease and line a 20 x 20cm baking tin.

Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine milk and egg. Pour into the cornmeal bowl and stir to make a thick, rough batter. Don't over mix. Fold in corn and chilli, then spoon into prepared tin.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch.

This is lovely served cooled spread with butter. It is a great accompaniment to many dishes, especially at a barbecue. Often I don't add the corn kernels, and I confess I usually can't be bothered with chilli either. I am sure it would be nice with chopped chives. Or grilled with cheese and relish....

Cheese Muffins
Why do I only have pink cupcake papers? 

1 Cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 Cups grated cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 Cup milk

Preheat oven to 200C and prepare a 12 cup muffin tray (greased or with cupcake papers, whatever floats your boat. The paper can be difficult to peel off, but I also hate cleaning cheese baked onto oven trays!).

Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk egg until it is frothy, and tip into the flour with the milk and cheese. Mix well. It is a very stodgy batter! Spoon into the prepared tray and bake for 10 mins or until golden.

For school lunches etc I often double the mix and make mini muffins for a small country. It works well :)

Chocolate Muffins

2 Cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup chocolate chips
2 tbsp jam
1 egg, beaten
50g melted butter
1/2 Cup milk, approx.

Preheat oven to 200C and prepare 12 cup muffin tray.

Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and chocolate chips. In a smaller bowl, combine melted butter, egg, jam and milk. Pour into flour and mix until just moistened. You may need a little more milk. Spoon into prepared tins and bake for 15 minutes.

See ya - off to make a cup of coffee and put my feet up while I look at my washing pile and plan my next composition!



1 comment: