Sharing Help and Hope - a place to encourage and share.

A problem shared is a problem halved....

Monday, January 30, 2012

My Wife. She's the Lemon.

If you are not familiar with the movie, The Dish the 'lemon' reference will just not be funny. I can't help referencing movies; yes, I am one of those people who randomly giggle when someone utters something not remotely funny, purely because I have made a random connection to a line - usually Black Adder or something else generally inappropriate for the company I am in... I blame the MOTH.

School's back, so baking begins again. Hang on, didn't we just do heaps of baking to survive the holidays?? But I am sick of 'lunch box' and 'tummy filling' baking. I want something adult! These Lemon Squares are DIVINE. They are mmmmm. There is no adjective that quite captures them. But you probably have a broader vocabulary than me, so I invite you to make them, and let me know :)

Lemon Squares

125g unsalted butter
75g (1/3 C) caster sugar
155g (1 1/4 C) plain flour
icing sugar, to dust

Topping
4 eggs, lightly beaten
250g (1 C) caster sugar
60ml (1/4 C) lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
30g (1/4 C) plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder


Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease and line a 20x30cm baking tin, leaving the paper hanging over two opposite sides.

Cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater until pale and fluffy. Fold in the flour with a metal spoon. Press into the tin and bake for 20 mins, or until golden and firm. Leave to cool.

Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric beater for 2 mins, or until light and fluffy. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Sift together the flour and baking powder and gradually whisk into the egg mixture. Pour onto the base. Bake for 25 mins, or until just firm. Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar.

Makes as many squares are you decide to cut them into.....!

1 comment:

  1. I love the one that has already had a bite taken out of it! I bet you had to take a photo super fast before finishing it! I know I would have xx

    ReplyDelete