Sharing Help and Hope - a place to encourage and share.

A problem shared is a problem halved....

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Suck it up Soup

Well, that's what I tell the kids.....

This is a lovely little recipe - fantastic when there is NOTHING in the pantry.... from a cookbook called Monday Morning Cooking Club, a group of Jewish Australian women who wanted to preserve their family recipes and inspire and share, and encourage community. What a lovely idea! I can't wait to try a few more from this book!

Karen Gutman's Israeli Couscous Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
2 x 400g tin tomatoes, chopped or crushed
1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
250g Israeli couscous
1 bunch parsley, chopped

Method

Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion and fry for 10 mins, or until light brown. Add cumin and stir through onion for a few minutes.
Add the tomatoes and stock, season generously with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, uncovered.
Add the couscous and cook for a further 8 - 12 minutes, or until the couscous is cooked through. Taste to check the seasoning. You may need to add up to 1 cup of extra stock if the soup is too thick or has been left to stand before serving. Stir in parsley and serve.

Note: I left it a bit before serving, and if definitely thickened up! More like a stew than a soup, but that opens up other ideas...

I served with home-made crouton batons - (easier to dip!), but I would love to try this with labneh - which I want to try making when my book arrives at the library (I love ordering library books online, a luxury when one doesn't usually get the time to browse the shelves because the librarian has asked you to take your four year old out side please). I know it is technically a more Turkish/Lebanese - depending who you talk to, let's just say middle eastern, as opposed to Jewish, per se, though that is arguable too, and really, I don't care who created it. I just like to eat it. Ok? But I imagine it would complement this soup well enough. Heck, I think I just love yoghurt and cheese and could eat them with anything... Hello? Have you all left??

No comments:

Post a Comment