Sharing Help and Hope - a place to encourage and share.

A problem shared is a problem halved....

Sunday, January 8, 2012

On the Plate Tonight - Lamb Biryani


Tonight I am cheating. That is to say, I am going for the easiest option, which isn't cheating so much as good management. Isn't it?! This is a version of Food in a Minute's Lamb Biryani that is super easy. I have only tried it with lamb, but I guess you could do it with chicken, or meat (tofu at an absolute last resort. Ok, probably never tofu.) of your choice. I have always just used the tinned lentils too, because I haven't been bothered enough to prepare my own. And we've all been there! To make it go a bit further, I add more rice - yay! And this meal has always fed 5 of us, with some left overs. Gotta be happy with that. And where lamb can be expensive, this recipe only uses 500g, which is pretty cost effective! The best bit - apart from how deliciously moreish it is, is how fast it is. I do use a rice cooker; I once you have tried them it is really hard to go back, and by the time the rice is cooked, the meat etc is ready. Et voilĂ ! You are a master Indian chef. Well. Not quite. I like to serve it with poppadoms (or however YOU like to spell them!) and plain yoghurt. I am looking forward to dinner tonight....

Lamb Biryani

Ingredients

3 tsp oil
500g lean lamb leg steaks, diced into 2cm pieces
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 tsp each crushed garlic, minced ginger and chilli
1 Tbsp Korma Curry Paste
400g can brown lentils, drained
cooked rice - your choice what type and how much, approx 3 cups is a good starting amount, try it and tweak it!

To Serve (opt)
natural unsweetened yoghurt
toasted slivered almonds, sliced dried apricots, fresh coriander, parsley or mint
poppadoms
Method

1. Heat a deep non-stick frying pan with 2 tsp oil and quickly brown the diced lamb. Set aside.

2. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and gently fry onion with garlic, chilli and ginger until tender. Stir in Korma curry paste and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. return lamb and add lentils to the pan and heat gently for 4 - 5 minutes, stirring often.

3. Toss rice through the hot lentil and lamb mixture - adding more if you think it needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment