Sharing Help and Hope - a place to encourage and share.

A problem shared is a problem halved....

Monday, March 19, 2012

Home on the Range..


Excuse me for laughing at my little pun there.... I am still having a little giggle. 

Anybody else feel like having a little...... giggle? (Pleeeeeease! Still waiting for Python fans to identify themselves! I KNOW I am not alone!)

I got this recipe out of a magazine and have been making it for at least four years. My kids woofed it down last night, which was especially fantastic as I wasn't in the mood for a battle of the dinner table night. Not that I ever am! So will have to pull this one out again over winter! I honestly don't measure the herbs and spices, actually, unless I am baking I never measure - shhhhh! So each time it is a little different. So I encourage you to guestimate what your tribe will prefer too. And the amount of pasta you add will also determine how far it will stretch. I used 150g dry pasta and it has given us seven portions.... Yay!

Warning - it is FAR from gourmet! It is a pure comfort food! You could add corn, or grated zucchini to up the veggies, but the attractions of this recipe are price and people pleasing!

Cowboy Casserole

500g lean beef  or chicken mince
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cans baked beans
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon beef stock powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
 pinch oregano
1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup macaroni, cooked and drained
1 cup grated cheese

Instructions

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Heat a medium-sized saucepan, add the meat and stir until browned. Add the onion and keep stirring until it softens.
Mix in the baked beans, spices, sauce and tomato paste and then sprinkle in the stock powder. Mix really well then add the cooked macaroni.
Pour the whole lot into an ovenproof casserole-type dish and cover with the grated cheese. Heat in the oven till the cheese is melted and turning brown.
Serve with salad or add some extra veg as you go. Also super delish with a little sour cream....

No comments:

Post a Comment