Sharing Help and Hope - a place to encourage and share.

A problem shared is a problem halved....

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Salad Days

I should say salad DAZE, as I have been dreaming about them alot lately.... and day dreaming.... I am thinking a great deal about food in general lately! 


And of course, a gratuitous Monty Python link in reference to 'Salad Days'. Never miss an opportunity. I have much to thank Monty Python for, so I am glad to reference them as opportunity arises. And when I am talking or thinking, it usually does. Meh, I am who I am :)


ANYWAY!


I have two salad recipes to post here. Sadly, no photos for the first one - yet. Our camera is C-rap. Really. I cannot take a good photo. It is bugging me immensely. And I am sure it is the camera and not me. Well. A little bit sure :/


Recipe the first :)


I have no name for this one, so you'll have to make one yourself. I am sure it had one.... but my darling friend and I enjoyed a FABULOUS lunch at Tasca in Newmarket not too long ago. It is one of my favourite restaurants, I am getting warm fuzzies just thinking about it! And of course the company was wonderful, and it is that reason, not the Corona, that I am blaming for not remembering the name! However, I committed to memory the contents of the salad as it was orgasmic. Of course that could just be me. But what do I care? It was delicious. And would have been improved only by more Corona, if I hadn't been driving :( Clearly I am not in the know of the salad dressing ingredients, but I will share with you what I recreated tonight; which was ALMOST as good!


2 small chorizo sausages
Baby gherkins/pickles/cornichons (pick your corner of the world for correct interpretation!)
Eggs
Salad leaves
Baby (gourmet) potatoes
Aioli
Artichokes (from deli, not fresh)
Salad dressing (vinegarette)


Method:


Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces, oil and salt and bake in 220C oven until golden. Meanwhile, slice and fry chorizo until almost crispy.  Boil your eggs, or poach if you prefer. I like the yolks a bit runny. 


Wash salad leaves, and add small amount of dressing. On the plate, place leaves, then gherkins and artichokes (break them into pieces), potatoes and chorizo, cut boiled egg (or whole poached) and top with a small spoonful or aioli, (and lets be honest, who only has a small spoonful of aioli??)


Now put the kids to bed and woof it down. With a cold Spanish beer!


I also have to put a plug in here for Zino's Old Fashion Foods. They sell at various markets around Auckland, including Coatsville, and they make the most delicious vinegarette I have tried in years. No idea what is in it.... (ignorance can be bliss...) But if I didn't already love going to markets, they are a good reason to go back :)


Israeli Couscous  and Tandoori Chicken Salad 



I have a name for this one, because I made it up! It was a mad - 'what is in the fridge' kind of lunch day. The answer was a little of everything below! And hello! It was lovely. Even the MOTH went back for seconds. Happy dance!


There are only a few portion sizes, you have probably guessed I use recipes as a guideline....


Courgettes/Zucchini
Sweet baby peppers
Cold tandoori chicken slices (from deli, or leftovers)
1 cup Israeli couscous
Avocado
Strawberry tomatoes
Lebanese cucumbers

Salad dressing (vinegarette)



Method:


Fry couscous in oil in a pot until it is starting to go a bit crunchy (of course, there are various ways to cook it, do it your own way if you have one, but this way the couscous still has a little bite, which I love). They add 1 cup of boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally. Then turn off the heat, add sliced chicken and leave to sit for another 5-7 minutes.


In a frying pan, fry courgettes and peppers until cooked to your preference. Add the couscous and chicken and stir through.


Serve with salad of avocado, tomatoes and cucumber that has had a small amount of vinegarette tossed through it.


This is my way of pretending we a) actually had a summer this year, and b) it is not actually going to get any colder this year..... so I'm a winter denier. Let me go and hibernate and you can keep it!





No comments:

Post a Comment